Awareness of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy in Fifth and Sixth Year Medical Students

Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2016; 18(3):226-230

Type
Journal article

Abstract

This paper presents results of the study aimed to evaluate level of knowledge on antibacterial therapy and empiric use of antimicrobial agents in the treatment of respiratory infections in medical students. A total of 197 fifth and sixth year medical students from the two cities (Belgorod and Voronezh) took part in the study. The study showed that the only 55.9% of students could determine antibiotic class correctly. Antibiotic changes in patients with a lack of clinical efficacy for 2–3 days were considered by 68.5% of students; remaining 31.5% of students felt that an antibiotic change should be made, even in patients with clinical efficacy. A total of 76.9% of students could not choose all of the proposed inappropriate antibiotic combinations. Appropriate empiric antimicrobial therapy in respiratory infections was prescribed by 30.3% of students only. Lack of knowledge on antimicrobial chemotherapy for future clinical practice and a need for further education on this issue was acknowledged by the 68% of students.

Views
0 Abstract
0 PDF
0 BibTeX
Shared
0
0
0
0
0
0